When it comes to fast, things are always relative. Many wouldn’t argue that getting into the low 11-second range is fast for a street car, and getting into the 10-second range is really fast for a car you can drive to get groceries. Once that 10-second zone falls and you get into the 9-second range it’s mind boggling. Terry Reeves, better known to fellow racers as Beefcake, was part of the Nitto Tire NMRA World Finals last weekend at Beech Bend Raceway.
Beefcake started the day with a 2.95 pulley on his highly modified and Vortech blown 2011 Mustang GT with the factory automatic transmission. He says that the car normally puts out 16psi with that pulley, though sadly, he went out in the first round of SST competition. Rather than call it a day, Beefcake took that 2.95 pulley off, went to a smaller 2.75 pulley, and hit the strip on a mission to break into the high 9-second range.
For the bracket race he dialed the car in at 9.99, staged his ride and let the beast fly down the strip on a mission for that 9.99-second pass. He must have had a premonition about his time for the pass; he nailed his dial-in time of 9.99-seconds on the nose. Terry said that the car was putting out 18 psi on the 2.75 pulley at the traps.
Beefcake said, “I had the radio on inside the car, and after I crossed the stripe, I heard ‘Budweiser Lane wins with a 9.99!’ I was pretty excited and pulled up to the slip booth, looked at the guy and said, ‘Give it to me, come on, give it to me’ I was grinning from ear to ear!”
Beefcake’s list of mods is long:
• 2011 Ford Mustang GT
• B.E.S. (Bischoff Racing Engines) Built Coyote .10 over
• Engine is lowered compression at 10:1 with JE Pistons, Manley Rods, Triangle Speed Shop Billet Oil Pump Gears, ATI SFI Balancer.
• JPC Racing Ported heads and cam regrinds
• Vortech JT Trim Supercharger w/135 mm Mass Air
• Stainless Works Long Tube Headers w/ Stainless Works Retro Catback
• Fore Precision Fuel System w/ Metco Rails and Ford Racing 60lb Injectors
• Strange Engineering Axles, Detroit Locker Diff, and Ford Racing 3.55 Gear Ratio.
• Speed Concepts Cross Drilled / Slotted Rotors.
• Strange Double adjustable Front Struts / Rear Shocks.
• Maximum Motorsports Caster / Camber Plates
• Team Z upper and lower control arms w/ Team Z anti roll bar.
• UPR Radiator Support
• JPC Racing Line Lock
• Factory 6r80 Automatic w/ Exedy Racing High Energy Clutches
• Factory 2 piece driveshaft w/ Metco driveshaft loop
• Circle D Converter
• Race Star Wheels
• Mickey Thompson 295/55/15 Drag Radials
• Evolution / Lund Tune
• CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grill