Saturday morning here at Virginia Motorsports Park for the ADRL Speedtech Drags III after some insane Pro Extreme qualifying and record setting performance. Several cars are below record for MPH int he class so we are anxious to see if more records will fall today. We have overcast skies that should keep the track cool today it’s just a question if we can get it in before any rain comes. Final Qualifying starts at 9 AM.
Thanks to Mickey Thompson Tires, our event coverage sponsor. Check out Mickey Thompson Tires.com for your performance tires needs.
I have a quick break as there was another oil down on the top end. We are running slow today and are still in the fourth session.
Round One Elimination Notes
Bob Bertsch won his round on a hole shot against Richard Penland with a 4.108. Doug Kirk left first against Bert Jackson but shook the tires giving Jackson the go ahead win. Cary Goforth went down smooth with a 4.11 @ 175 for the win over Dobbons who broke on the line. Steven Boone got a bit holeshot on Pete Berner and stayed out font, 4.12 to 4.16. Dean Goforth is also still in running a 4.11 @ 176 over Pluchino after he shook the tires. Brian Gahm took out Cale Aronson with a .015 tree ans 4.11 @ 175 to 4.15 @ 174. Mike Martino drove around Trevor Eman after getting beat by .02 on the tree. Elijah Morton fell of to a 4.11 in his match with John Montecalvo who had low ET for the round by .001 with a 4.107.
- Texans Todd Moyer and Eric Stubbs were the first pair down in Extreme 10.5. Stubbs went red and Moyer ran a 4.26 @ 171. David Hance and LJ Wood Jr. were next out in a pedal fest but Hance was first to recover and got the win with a 4.66 @ 179. Kenny Doak popped the burst panel allowing local racer Donny Thompson to get around for the win. William Brown III had luck on his side after Michael Neal lost the blower belt at the line.
- Charles Carpenter and Jim Halsey left close with Halsey the slight advantage. At the stripe it would be Halsey first with a 3.91 @ 194. Next up were Elijah Rojas from San Juan and Stan Allen for the Bankston Boys representing Lousiana. Allen went red ending the race early and Rojas went on to a 3.97 @ 189. Number eleven qualifier Pat Stoken put up a 3.95 @ 191 to get by the tire shaking Weatherford in a super upset.
- Terry Murphy took out Greg Godwin on the tree and on the top end running a 3.97 @ 187. Burton Auxier and Jim Lauria had a great race with Auxier .018 on the light and 3.94 @ 190 to 3.97 @184. Rickie Smith beat Todd Howard after a red light bhy Howard and 3.93 @ 189. Shannon Jenkins put up a 3.89 to drive by Steve Vick’s 4.00.
- Gaylen Smith runs a 3.76 @ 203 over Quain Stott who made a move towards the center line and lifted. Jason Hamstra shook the tires in a loss to Mick Snyder. KH Al-Thani ran a 3.68 @ 209 against Brian Daniels for the win. Frankie Taylor put down a 3.64 @ 207 for low ET of the round in a win against Ellis Vial. Scruggs ran a 3.69 against Tommy DApril’s 3.87 getting the win without issue. Todd Tutterow got crossed up after shaking the tires and wound up in John Stanley’s lane. He did a great job driving to save the car from hitting anything. Stanley ran a 3.90 @ 196.
- Gary White and Jeff Naiser were the other half of the remaining Extreme 10.5 cars and another nitrous vs. turbo battle. White left first with a .019 lightto Naiser’s .044. Naiser was on his game running just of his qualifying pace with a 4.07 @ 179 but White was ready for anything, running a 3.956 @ 187 for low ET of the event so far.
- The Pro Extreme final was KH Al-Thani and Joshua Hernandez with Al-Thani running a 3.65 @ 210 to Hernandez’ off pace [email protected] 183 after shutting down after half track.